City of Tucker, GA
The City of Tucker, Georgia is seeking a strong and charismatic leader to usher a vibrant, diverse and inclusive community of elected officials, staff members and residents through the upcoming years of growth. If you are an experienced manager in municipal government with a successful track record of leadership and project management this may be the opportunity for you. Tucker is primed for growth, complex capital projects and increased service performance. The City was incorporated in 2016 and is a vibrant and growing community located just northeast of Atlanta, Georgia with a population of over 38,000 residents. Tucker is nestled between three major highways, providing a convenient location to live, work and play. Tucker has the best of what metro Atlanta has to offer with a vibrant main street, a park system of over 280 acres, playing fields, and a variety of community organized events. The schools operate under the jurisdiction of the DeKalb County School District with five elementary schools and one middle school feeding into Tucker High School. Tucker has a strong sense of community spirit and pride and is a place where everyone is welcome. The City of Tucker operates under a Council/Manager form of Government. The organization is lovingly referred to as Team Tucker and is a combination of full and part-time City employees as well as full-time contractors in a public/private partnership. The City Manager leads this talented team of professionals at the direction of the Mayor and Council to conduct the City’s day-to-day business, capital projects and implementation of approved policies of the elected officials.
The City of Tucker seeks an experienced and ethical City Manager who has strong proven leadership skills and can quickly gain the confidence of the community and staff. The City Manager must possess the ability to build community trust through the development of partnerships with various stakeholders and other government entities. The ideal candidate will demonstrate the ability to embrace change and focus on continuous improvement while working collaboratively with the Mayor and Council as they respond to challenges of growth, development, and increased citizen demands for service and transparency of operations.
The successful candidate will be expected to articulate a vision of excellence, ensure quality in delivery of services and demonstrate creative problem-solving skills. The ideal candidate will be an excellent communicator who supports the vision of the Mayor and Council while providing them with bold, objective, well-developed recommendations for action.
- Bachelor’s degree required in public administration, public finance, business administration, or related degree from an accredited college or university. A master’s degree is preferred.
- A minimum of six years of executive level management experience in local governments of similar size and complexity to Tucker is expected. Previous experience as a City/County Manager/Administrator or Deputy is desired.
- Evidence of continued professional development such as ICMA Credentialed Manager designation, is a positive indicator of dedication to the profession and will be noted during the vetting process.
Other Desirable Skills and Attributes:
- Recognizes the value of and provides leadership to a professional departmental leadership team; empowers staff and holds them accountable without micromanaging their work.
- Ability to assist Mayor and Council in articulating a vision and developing consensus around issues; problem solver with a high level of business acumen.
- Ability to clearly communicate policy/project alternatives in an objective and unbiased manner.
- Ability to make difficult decisions and recommendations, and willingness to assertively defend those decisions and recommendations in a non-confrontational manner.
Compensation & Benefits:
The expected starting salary range for this position is $170,000 – $200,000 (depending on qualifications of the selected candidate), with a comprehensive benefits package, including health, dental, vision and life insurance. The city offers paid time off, sick days, and federal holidays. The City funds a 401a retirement plan for full-time employees as well as a match for employee funded 457b plans. Relocation expenses are negotiable.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates must submit by email a cover letter, resume, at least five professional references (with email address and phone numbers), as well as salary history no later than close of business on October 16, 2023 to Lisa Ward, Senior Associate firstname.lastname@example.org. Please contact Lisa Ward with any questions at 706-983-9326.
Alan Reddish, Senior Associate, 107 Indigo Lane, Athens, GA 30606, Cell: 706-614-4961
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com